Web Page HTML/CSS Template
Webstyle produced NavBar
 
Twitter & Facebook
 INTER-NETWORKING
 
 
    LINK CATEGORIES
   *International
   Arts & Culture
   Business & Internet
   Education & Training
   Government & Politics
   Health
   Online Resources
   Organisations
   People & Society
    RELEVANT LINKS
 
 
   
 
  View NEWS
 2011-01-19 05:26 am Back to NEWS
Hold dialogue over Lyambai MISA

The Media Institute of Southern Africa - MISA Zambia Chapter has called for dialogue to resolve the problems at Radio Lyambai in Mongu.

MISA Zambia Chairperson Daniel Sikazwe says MISA officers are currently on the ground to observe developments at the radio station.

Mr. Sikazwe also says MISA is planning to conduct a workshop for all radio stations in Western province in order to help them become models for peace-building.

He was speaking in an interview with ZNBC News in Lusaka today, Tuesday.

Mr. Sikazwe has called for dialogue between the radio station management and government, including police.

Radio Lyambai has been closed for allegedly inciting people to attend last Fridays illegal meeting over the Barotse Agreement of 1964.

Two people died in Mongu-Western Province, among them a child, after a group of people ran amok over the Barotseland Agreement of 1964 last Friday.

Police shot dead one man as attempts to stop him from setting ablaze a filling station failed.

Home Affairs Minister Mkhondo Lungu said the consequences would have been grave, had the man not been stopped.

And Mr Lungu said the child died after he was hit by a stone, as a stone-throwing group went on rampage during the fracas.

Mr. Lungu however said government regrets the loss of life.

The Home Affairs Minister said several people from Mongu and Lusaka had been arrested by police for threatening peace of the country.

Mr. Lungu said the group that went on rampage threw stones at police and the general public, breaking vehicle window screens, and deflating vehicle tyres.

The Minister was speaking at a press briefing in Lusaka last Friday Evening.

He said law enforcement agencies would use force proportional to threats posed by rioters in order to ensure law and order were maintained.

And Mr. Lungu said a group of 20 matchet-carrying people was in the early hours of Friday rounded-up by police in Mongu.

He said five other activists from Lusaka believed to be inciting people over the 1964 agreement had also been picked up.

And Mr. Lungu told Journalists that there would be no negotiations over the secession of the Western Province.

He also advised people in Mongu and Limulunga to stay indoors as a result of the unrest.

The Minister further said Government would increase the presence of police in Western Province to quell off any possible unrest.

Ends/ZNBC/ 18.01.11 15 00 hours



 
    MEMBER OPTIONS
 
Username
Password
Member Signup
Forgot Password
 
 
    SPONSORED LINKS
 
 
   
 DIRECTORY HOME
MEMBER LOGIN EDITOR LOGIN MEMBER SIGNUP EDITOR SIGNUP
NEW LINKS POPULAR LINKS LINK TO US ADD A LINK NEWS
TERMS OF USE PRIVACY POLICY LEGAL POLICY CONTACT US