University (CBU) senate has prematurely closed the institution for two
The decision was made after a special senate meeting yesterday
morning as a measure to restore a conducive learning
Students rioted on Wednesday night, beating up a Kitwe
businessman Mamadi Conde, set his vehicle on fire and allegedly stole cell
phones and K200 million cash.
According to a statement released by acting
registrar Mwala Sheba, the senate resolved to bring forward the end of term two
with immediate effect.
A check at the campus found students leaving the
campus while others were still packing their belongings.
scheduled for closure on September 4 but the early closure entails that term
three has consequently been brought forward as well.
Mr Sheba said
full-time students would be expected back to campus on August 30 for the start
of the third term.
"This action is aimed at allowing the university
management enough time to restore calm and ensure public safety," he
Mr Sheba said the action did not affect graduate, distance and all
evening and part time students.
Students' union president Kasonde Mwenda
and members of his executive could not be reached as they had their phones
The family of Mr Conde who was beaten by CBU students and
burnt his vehicle said they may consider evacuating him to South Africa if his
condition does not improve.
Mr Conde's son Issa said his father was
admitted to Hillview Medical Centre and had shown little signs of improvement
because of the severe beatings.
He said the family would soon make a
decision on whether to evacuate him after considering how he responds to
"We may move him to another hospital depending on how he will
respond to treatment and we will also consider evacuating him to South Africa if
need be," he said.
Issa said the family was concerned with the injuries
that he sustained which include a fractured skull and other internal
And Copperbelt police chief Antoneil Mutentwa said police were
still investigating the incident that led to the attack on Mr Conde and
subsequent burning of his vehicle.
Mr Mutentwa said police had not made
any arrests yet but were taking the matter seriously.
He said officers
had been deployed at the campus on Thursday night after reports of a possible
disturbance at the institution and that the situation remained calm.
arrests have been made in the beating up of a motorist and burning his vehicle
but investigations are on-going," he said.
Mr Mutentwa appealed to the
public and the CBU students to come forward with any information that would
bring the perpetrators to book.
Meanwhile, The Forum for Leadership
Search (FLS) has condemned the demonstration by students at the CBU and University
of Zambia because the reasons for their action could not add value to their
FLS executive director, Edwin Lifwekelo said in a statement in
Lusaka yesterday that reasons given for demonstrations by the students were
misplaced and highly politicised.
He said the Government should compel
the students to pay for the vehicle, which was burnt because students had failed
to justify their demonstrations.
And Operation Young Vote president Guess
Nyirenda said students had no right to burn a vehicle and beat up innocent
members of the public even if they had the right to demonstrate.
beating of an innocent citizen and burning of their vehicle by some disgruntled
students at CBU is barbaric and a criminal act that should be condemned by all
progressive Zambians," he said.